Saturday, March 3, 2012

Taylor's Top 5 2012 Draft Needs for the Baltimore Ravens



Never. Again.

In light of the NFL Combine last weekend, I've been thinking a lot about what the Ravens need to be looking for as we head into the 2012 draft. Here are the top 5 positions I think we should be looking to fill  in order to have the best chance at winning it all this season!



1) I said it last season and I will say it again, we need to find an inside linebacker. We are so lucky to have Ray Lewis for another season and we should utilize his presence to develop some new talent. Honestly, I think it would be worth a first round pick to draft an ILB. The Ravens have not drafted a LB in the first round in 15 seasons but with Jarrett Johnson returning at 31 years old and Jameel McClain as a free agent, there is no better time than now to introduce some new blood to the linebacking squad.

2) We need to find another center. Matt Birk has been a great asset for the Ravens but he is about to turn 36 and there are rumors that he has thought about retiring. In order to balance out our run-heavy offense, I think it would be a worthy investment to secure a strong center in this year's draft.

3) In addition to another center, we should look at drafting a new guard. Left guard Ben Grubbs is a pending free-agent and this year's draft pool doesn't feature a very strong mix of interior 0-lineman. For that reason, it would make sense for the Ravens to consider this position in the earlier rounds.

4) Clearly, we need to beef up our secondary. It continues to amaze me that Ed Reed is still in the game and while I appreciate all of the talent and experience that he brings, he wasn't as reliable last season as he has been for the Ravens in his younger years. We saw far fewer "Reeeeeeeeeed" plays and watching him staggering around in-between plays was kind of painful at times. It definitely would benefit the Ravens to find some new talent that could learn from playing alongside Ed while we still have him. It is also important to consider that our starting cornerbacks Cary Williams and Lardarius Webb are both pending free-agents.

5) Finally, I think we should look to add another wide receiver in this year's draft. We scored majorly last season in acquiring Torrey Smith and with a season of experience under his belt, he looks to be a promising deep-threat again in 2012. On the other hand, Anquan Boldin looks far less promising to me after a less-than impressive 57 catches for 887 yards and only 3 touchdowns last season.

I'd love to hear whether or not you agree or what changes to my list you would make! Leave me a comment on my 'Ravens Chick' Facebook account or  join the conversation on Twitter, @tayloraboyd.


No comments:

Post a Comment