Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Taylor’s Twitter Talk: Trending Topics Among Ravens Tweeters

Before taking my introduction to communication course last semester, I had a complete misunderstanding about what Twitter was and the purpose that it served. I assumed it was a self-indulgent platform for celebrities to endorse themselves as well as an expanded platform for Facebook addicts to update their current status. Boy was I wrong! As soon as I created a Twitter account, I was blown away by the amount of information I could find there.

My most exciting moment was when I realized how many Ravens players have personal Twitter accounts that they update frequently throughout the day. Through Twitter,  I have immediate access to the thoughts and day-to-day actions of these guys that I idolize on the football field. Reading their Tweets makes me connect to them on a more personal level, as I am given the opportunity to see what it is that they do and think about off  the field.

Who Tweets? My favorite players to follow on Twitter are probably Le’Ron McClain (@LeRonMcClain33) and Donte Stallworth (@DonteStallworth). Why? Le’Ron is always talking about where the next party is and it is fun to get a glimpse into what the social life of a NFL player is like. His Tweets are entertaining and he frequently converses with other Ravens on Twitter. This has led me to the discovery of many other Tweeting Ravens that I might not have found on my own! Donte Stallworth on the other hand, likes to Tweet thought provoking quotes and deep insight.  The discovery of his Twitter account was kind of surprising to me, as his Tweets are pretty different from those of other NFL players.

Ray Rice (@RayRice27), Michael Oher (@MichaelOher), Fabian Washington (FabeWash31), Anquan Boldin (@AnquanBoldin), Willis McGahee (@WillisMcGahee), Ray Lewis (@RayLewis52com), and Qadry Ismail (@QadryIsmail) are among the other frequent Ravens Tweeters. These guys post anything from injury and health updates to pre and post-game thoughts on gameday. They also comment on practice or link to funny personal pictures and videos of teammates.

As if following the players isnt enough incentive to check out Twitter, there are also a lot of Ravens news sites that post updates to Twitter! I find the bulk of my links and interesting blog posts from scanning my Twitter-feed daily. I can follow ESPN Sports Analysts like James Walker and get updates on his AFC North blog or I can follow other Ravens bloggers to help share and promote their links and stories!

The offseason is here and there is a lot of down time for the players so my guess is that they will be Tweeting frequently! Want to get to know them a little better before the 2011 season rolls around? Sign up for Twitter and start following them today! I’m going to post some funny or interesting Tweets from the players as I come across them so that everyone can see what I am talking about!  

If I missed anyone or if you have any suggestions about who else to follow on Twitter, I want to hear from you! What else are you going to do in the offseason?! START TWEETING!

This Week's Top Tweeters: (Just a few of the many Ravens Tweets from the week!)

 Donte' Stallworth 

"Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without." ~Confucius



 FABIAN WASHINGTON 

Am I a fat guy just because I can eat a dozen krispy Kream glazed donuts



 Willismcgahee 

I've been up since 5:15 am not a good look right now



 Ray Rice 

True storyRT @: Jealousy is just Love n Hate at the same time!!! 



 Donte' Stallworth 

Watching "Third Reich: The Rise" on the History channel... So many things I didn't know



 Ray Rice 

24 years young thank god for letting me see another year happy birthday to myself and thanks to everyone for the bday love


 Donte' Stallworth 

Humans are creatures of habit... Bad habits are like a comfortable bed, easy to get into, but hard to get out of



 Willismcgahee 

Got a question me and ed reed have had arguments about which college Team was better to watch my year 02,03 or his 01,02 (canes)

No comments:

Post a Comment